Re: Gold OA funds as generalised "subvention funds"?

This kind of fund exists at a number of universities already.
Cornell has had its Hull Fund for subsidizing all sorts of
scholarly work for many years. Stanford and Penn State instituted
junior faculty startup grants years ago where the individual
faculty member gets a lump sum and then can use it for any number
of scholarly purposes, such as travel to conventions, journal
article fees, subsidies for monographs, etc. However, the
practice is by no means universal, and there is a long way to go
before it can be said that universities generally support the
system of scholarly communication in anything like equal ways.

Sandy Thatcher