Re: Gold OA funds as generalised "subvention funds"?

Richard,

This is great.  Let's do it.  But let's not pretend.

My point was simple:  you cannot pay for OA with POD if you take=20
a view of the publishing environment that extends out beyond a=20
couple years.

You can, on the other hand, subsidize OA publishing.  You can do=20
that by having authors or their departments pay for publication=20
or by bringing in grants.  Nothing wrong with that.

My objection is to the idea that OA is without cost.  POD is=20
simply wonderful for many things, but it does not provide a=20
long-term method for financing OA publications.

As for the comment elsewhere on this thread about the housewife=20
who reads romances, first, let me make clear that that example=20
did not come from the mouth of PC me.  But more importantly, the=20
demographics of purchase for the Amazon Kindle skew old.  The=20
Kindle is an outstanding reading device for people who don't want=20
the glare of a backlit screen (e.g., iPad), whether they are=20
housewives are high energy physicists (or they could be both at=20
the same time).  It supports fonts up to 18 pt., the definition=20
of Large Type.

But if you follow the trade press, you will see that $150 readers=20
will be on the market this fall.  I expect to see $50 readers in=20
a year or two. They will link to large online bookstores with=20
files in the ePub format, the format that publishers have agreed=20
to support as a standard.

POD is an outstanding transitional technology.  The transition=20
will be significantly accomplished in just a few years.

Joe Esposito

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Richard Poynder
<richard.poynder@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
---2071850956-1087241609-1276031776=:7687--