Scientific literature access beyond licensing institutions

Hello, everyone,

May I, on behalf of another party, pass along to this forum the
following literature enquiry?

Is anyone out there aware of publications or available reports,
from say the last twenty years (but the more recent, the better),
based on quantitative or qualitative research into one or both of
the following questions:

1.Among the general public, what is the extent of the demand for,
or of serious interest in gaining, access on a regular,
continuing basis to peer-reviewed content published in
scientific/scholarly journals? For this purpose, "the general
public" should be taken to mean all private individuals who do
not already enjoy such access, at no personal cost, by virtue of
their formal affiliation with an institution, such as a
university or a large corporation, which has -- or whose library
or information unit has -- itself arranged for and provides such
access to those affiliated with it, bearing institutionally the
cost of such arrangements.

2.What is the extent of such demand or serious interest among
small entrepreneurs, independent consultants and the like ?

I would highly appreciate receiving, on- or off-list, any
pertinent references which any of you might be able and willing
to provide.

My thanks to you in advance.

- Laval Hunsucker
Breukelen, Nederland