RE: Library Roles Changing, Open Access Not Compelling

Hi,

For anyone who might be interested in discussing our Faculty
Survey findings in greater detail, I thought I would share below
the announcement of upcoming webinars focused around each of the
three chapters of the report.

Best,
Roger

Following last week's release of Ithaka S+R's Faculty Survey 2009
(http://bit.ly/aJP4pl), we will be conducting a series of
webinars that will explore each of the major themes of this
survey in depth. Each webinar will focus on an individual chapter
of the full report, providing the opportunity for a targeted
discussion of the findings of our study and their implications
for libraries, publishers, and scholarly societies.

Webinar Schedule:

Chapter 1: Discovery and the Evolving Role of the Library

When:  April 20th, 3pm - 4pm EDT

About:  Basic scholarly information use practices have shifted
rapidly in recent years and, as a result, the academic library is
increasingly being disintermediated from the discovery process,
presenting libraries with some key challenges but also the
opportunity to reallocate resources to other priorities.

Who should attend: Librarians, university administrators, and
others interested in the future of the academic library in the
digital age

How to register: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/793444185

****

Chapter 2: The Format Transition for Scholarly Works

When: April 29th, 3pm - 4pm EDT

About: Faculty members' growing comfort in relying exclusively on
digital versions of scholarly materials opens new opportunities
for libraries, new business models for publishers, and new
challenges for preservation.

Who should attend: Librarians, publishers, and scholarly
societies interested in the print-to-electronic transition

How to register: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/830016017

****

Chapter 3: Scholarly Communications

When: May 5th, 3pm - 4pm EDT

Publishers, scholarly societies, libraries, faculty members, and
others have laid significant groundwork for reforming various
aspects of the scholarly communications system, but faculty
attitudes are driven by incentives and suggest the need for
continued leadership.

Who should attend: Publishers, librarians, scholarly societies,
and faculty members interested in the changing landscape for
scholarly communications

How to register: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/543934248

We also have an upcoming webinar on our recently released What to
Withdraw collections management framework and accompanying
decision-support tool; more information is available at
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/486363776. We encourage you
to attend any or all of these webinars, and to pass along this
information to any of your colleagues who you believe might be
interested. Thank you very much, and we look forward to hearing
your reactions to the Faculty Survey 2009!

Sincerely,
Roger Schonfeld & Ross Housewright