Re: Library Roles Changing, Open Access Not Compelling

David,

I don't think there is a simple answer, but part of it is that
PLoS One is not an Open Access service as envisioned by many
members of the OA community.  PLoS One does not have the same
kind of editorial review that the flagship PLoS journals do.  It
does seem to me that authors are supportive of online posting
(PloS One does more than that, of course), and the growth of
openly available material everywhere points to that.  But just
don't call it Open Access, whatever that is.

Here again, I reiterate:  people don't know what they think.  We
shouldn't ask them.

Joe Esposito