From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu [mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu]
On Behalf Of Joseph Esposito
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:07 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: eBooks in Libraries a Thorny Problem, Says Macmillan CEO

I haven't spoken with John Sargent about this particular item,
but there may be some context for his remarks to bear in mind.

First, let me mention that Sargent came up through the ranks in
children's books.  I was in a meeting with him in the 1980s where
he talked about the importance of the public library market for
his program.  (For some segments of the children's market,
libraries are half the business--unlike adult trade, where
libraries are perhaps 3-4% of the business, though it all depends
on who is counting.) He was then, and I assume he is now,
attentive to the needs of constituencies beyond his shareholders
(but if you forget them . . . ).

For consumer publishers, "libraries" almost always and
exclusively means "public libraries." Academic libraries are not
on the radar screen.

The context of library discussions among trade publishers today
is, How can we sell ebooks to public libraries without destroying
our consumer sales?  This is a very real problem, and if there is
a good solution, I have not yet seen it.  If an ebook is sold to
a library and if it can be checked out remotely by anyone with a
library card and an Internet connection, AND if there is no
limitation as to the number of simultaneous users, then why would
anyone buy the book instead of simply getting it from the
library?

One solution that is being kicked around is for public libraries
to purchase/license ebooks for their districts, with compensation
based either on population (the equivalent of FTE pricing) or
varying with usage ("this ebook carries no charge to the library
until it is checked out; each check out will result in a charge

I don't know how this will play out, but Sargent is someone
librarians can work with.

Joe Esposito