[no subject]

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Sandy Thatcher wrote:

>... it would be dangerous to rely on the postprint solely and
>quote from it since the final editing may well have caught
>errors and made other changes in the peer-reviewed draft.

Dangerous?

I am afraid that discussions like this are always at
cross-purposes, because one party to the discussion is comparing
the luxury of having access to the copy-edited draft with just
having access to the refereed final draft whereas the other party
is comparing the necessity of having access to the refereed final
draft with having no access at all. To this second party, the
"danger" Sandy refers to sounds truly risible, compared to the
genuine danger of no access at all. And it is the latter (not
"which"-hunting) that OA is about, and for.

Stevan Harnad