RE: ArXiv Grows Up, Adopts Subscription-like Model

Actually, $7 per article seems very high.  At DeepDyve, our cost
for ingesting content from over 30 publishers, indexing it,
making it searchable and displayable is less than $0.10.

I'm sure we don't support all the capabilities/functions that
ArXiv does, but on the other hand we've also developed features
not available at ArXiv, and must also support marketing, bus dev,
etc - so it might be a wash.  That being said, I'm not suggesting
$7 is due to poor execution.  I'm assuming it's due to lack of
scale advantages.  The cost for DeepDyve to index 30M articles is
not altogether different than indexing 300,000.  Allow me to
pivot this discussion in a different direction:

Most publishers have invested substantial sums of money into
their own platforms.  The industry must collectively spend
hundreds of millions per year in silo'ing their content...to
benefit who?  Yes, certain audiences may want advanced bells and
whistles, but by and large, 90% of the need is the same:  help
the user find articles and read them.  However, the overall user
experience is quite poor as the user must navigate across many
sites, each of which are different, and the content is very
expensive in no small part due to the cost of supporting
expensive silo's.  Therefore, I will end my post with 2
questions:

-Would the end-user and the industry not be better off
consolidating access and discovery onto a single, industry
platform?

-Conversely, would Apple, Amazon, Google etc. not be better off
having the industry fragmented so they could be the platform,
control the end user, and extract the lion's share of the value?

William Park
CEO, DeepDyve