From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony Watkinson
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:56 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Pay for peers (Re: Costs of publishing a journal)

I agree with Paul that this would warrant a study. Unfortunately
I suspect that there are too view journals paying sums for
reviews and that economics is (as often) a discipline which in
many ways works a little differently. If you work in a medical
discipline as I do, it is natural to consider paying reviewers
for delivering quickly. After all for many areas, speed to
publication is of the essence. However conversations with editors
reveal an overwhelmingly negative attitude to an innovation like
this. One of the problems raised is that if you are actually
paying the reviewer for anywhere near the time involved in
writing a good review you have to pay such a lot more than $60 to
match the money earned by a consultant physician.

Anthony