Re: Critique of OA metric

You have to have a highly metaphoric sense of the term "database"
to consider a journal a database.

David and I have a different view of what PLOS One is up to.
Most people see PLOS as an activist organization operating in the
area of open access publishing.  I see it as a prominently
branded organization that is moving away from rigorous peer
review.  It appears that advocates of OA are seeing in PLOS One
what they want to see.  That's their business.

As for search-engine rank, wrappers, etc., yep, you can build
higher ranking in any number of ways, personal tagging
("folksonomy") among them.  No quarrel there.  Nothing in my
earlier post was meant to imply that there were not other ways to
confer higher search-engine ranking, nor did I suggest that OA
publications necessarily trailed traditional publications in
ranking.  My argument is agnostic as to OA.

But to recapitulate:  what's at issue here is known as "the law
of increasing returns," aka "the rich get richer," about which
see the work of economist Brian Arthur.  It is possible to build
new brands--thank the good lord for that!  It is harder to build
them in areas that are already well established.  If someone
wanted to build a new brand in research publishing, the best
place to start is with an area of research that has few or no
well-established incumbents.

Incumbency has its virtues.  I saw a surprising study a few years
ago about the GE brand for small household appliances (toasters,
microwave ovens, etc.).  GE sold off that business to Black &
Decker.  Years later, after the GE brand had been fully retired
from that segment of the marketplace, consumers responding to a
survey reported that GE was the most trusted brand in the
category.

All this leads to the essential corollary:  to establish any kind
of information service, a large sum of money, typically in the
form of professional labor, has to be committed.  In legacy media
this is called marketing, in new media this is called community.
The price of scholarly communications keeps going up.

Joe Esposito