RE: US consumer purchase of international editions

As an addendum to the issue of bringing books from one country to
another, I can attest to the fact that if you are sending a book
to Canada from the United States, it may not get there.  I'm not
talking about anything that might be constituted "obscene" or
controversial in some other way, but I can't even have the New
Yorker send a desk diary to a friend in Canada (my annual present
to her).  It's sent back as not acceptable by customs.  As a
result, I have to find a "work-around" to get it to her.

I've also had other experiences of sending perfectly innocuous
books to Canada and having them rejected by customs as "not
acceptable" books.

I find this ironic in light of the exchange of drugs between the
countries.

There must be some bureaucratic rationales behind these
decisions/behaviors, but I've never been able to figure them out.

Aline Soules
Cal State East Bay
Aline.soules@csueastbay.edu