Re: US consumer purchase of international editions

This is simply not true and it should not be allowed to stand.
Differential pricing and market segmentation make materials
available to people who otherwise could not afford it.  I won't
get into a debate about what copyright law says, which we will
leave to lawyers, but let's focus just on the economics.

Let's imagine a sophisticated college textbook that costs $1
million to develop.  (That figure is not out of range.)  That
cost is for the creation of the "master":  the initial work that
is then copied for sale.  Let's assume that 50,000 copies are
printed, that the unit manufacturing cost is $8 and that the
royalty is $10/copy.  That means the variable costs (how much
incremental cost is incurred for each additional copy sole) is
$18. The development cost has to be spread over each copy sold,
and we will assume that the entire print run is sold, with no
returns.  That means the allocated development cost is $20/copy.
So for each copy sold, the accountants record an expense of $38.
This figure is the same whether the book costs $50 (low) or $150
(in range).

The typical pattern (not just for books) is that the *entire*
development cost is borne by the American customers.  The reason
for this is that people in less developed economies cannot afford
the full share of the development cost.  This means that the
$20/copy of amortized development is NOT charged to students in
less privileged economies.

Thus the American students are faced with a price based on at
least a total cost of $38 (or more, if the international edition
is being subsidized, as it almost always is).  Students in Latin
America or Africa are faced with a price based on an imputed cost
of $18.  This makes it possible to sell books outside the U.S.
for much less than in the U.S.

One could say that this is all accounting, and that would be
true; but accounting is real.  Nothing "costs" anything:
everything is imputed from a financial model.

If students in Latin America were asked to pay their full share
of the development costs, the books would be priced beyond their
means.  The entire point of discriminatory pricing is not to
charge more in one market but to charge less in other markets.

When someone takes a book from China and sells it in San Diego,
he or she is not lowering the cost in San Diego; rather the cost
is being raised in China.  If you are looking for the greedy,
look for the arbitrageurs.

Joe Esposito