Re: US consumer purchase of international editions

Market segmentation by region of the world has nothing to do with
copyright. it has all to do with extracting maximum profit from
each market by playing on the total "price x #sales". It is the
same strategy with the zones for DVD's and just as reprehensible.
it also works for drugs, and there is is downright abominable
(remember US elders coming to Canada to buy drugs at about half
the price of US prices a few years back)..

Nothing in copyright law says anything about marketing
strategies. It speaks to modalities of property when applied to
documents (in the widest sense) of all kinds, and only to that.

Moreover, and so far as I know, no country has any law capable of
stopping a book from being introduced in a country even if the
cover says "not for resale in x, y and z. I am not talking about
books banned for whatever reasons here. Division of world markets
between various distributors is based on contracts. It is
implemented through contract laws, not copyright. In any case, at
the individual level, the first sale doctrine allows me to resell
a book from somewhere to be sold again in the US or elsewhere.

What I would hope for is that students should quickly organize
(within the limits of the law) ways to bring in these cheaper
volumes in their country and thus save a lot of money to their
colleagues, perhaps make a little bit of money themselves, and
expose one of the most despicable strategies of multinationals.
Or better still, students should get involved in the OER movement
(open educational resources).

Jean-Claude Guedon