RE: US consumer purchase of international editions

Jean-Claude Guedon assumes that the motive for market
segmentation is simply the greed of multi-national capitalists
(on whose taxes higher education in Canada and elsewhere is
hugely dependent).  But there is another explanation, which is
based on my own experience as a publisher of over 40 years'
experience.

Most textbooks have traditionally been developed for and
published in the developed world.  Their prices were usually set
in direct relationship to the total cost of publication and
distribution, including royalties payable to the author(s) and
the publisher's overheads.  It was found in the 1950s and 1960s
that students in less developed countries were unable to afford
these prices.  So publishers either licensed the publication
rights to a local publisher that could sell into its local
territory at a locally acceptable price, or republished the
textbook as a low cost edition for less well-endowed markets,
having recovered much of the cost of publication on the original
edition.  These were often referred to as "International Student
Editions" or something similar.  Their sale was limited to
specified countries - that was the point, because their price was
related to the marginal cost of republication, rather than the
full cost of original publication.  Many of the publishers that I
knew - and know - have done this out of wholly altruistic
reasons.

It has always been important for restrict the sale of such
international student editions to the countries for which they
were intended.  To allow importation back into the developed
world would undermine the economics of textbook publishing as we
know it.

John Cox

Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd