Most Favored Nation Clause in Google Settlement

Colleagues:

Listmembers may find of interest a development respecting the
most favored nation (MFN) clause, section 3.8(a), of the proposed
Google Books settlement agreement, that arose on July 31 at
"Alternative Approaches to Open Digital Libraries in the Shadow
of the Google Book Search Settlement: An Open Workshop at Harvard
Law School," http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/googlebooks/Main_Page :

I watched the workshop via Webcast.  At the 11:00 a.m. panel,
none of the presenters mentioned the MFN, not even Professor
Grimmelmann, who in his Journal of Internet Law article earlier
this year, http://bit.ly/7W3qG at page 15, called the MFN "[t]he
most pressing problem" posed by the proposed settlement
agreement.  Via the conference Twitter feed,
http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23gbsworkshop09 , I asked the
panelists why none of them had mentioned the MFN.  Several of
them said they believed the MFN was not a pressing issue, since
it would only become operative if Congress enacted orphan works
legislation authorizing the Book Rights Registry (BRR) to grant
rights in orphan works.  I then asked Professor Grimmelmann
whether he had changed his mind respecting the views he had
expressed in his Journal of Internet Law article, and he
responded via Twitter: "Yes, I've been persuaded (for now) that
the MFN clause has too few teeth to worry as much about as other
things."

My understanding of the panelists' reasoning respecting the MFN
is that in the absence of orphan works legislation, under the
property law principle of "nemo dat" the BRR would lack the power
to license any rights in orphan works to anyone.  The MFN would
only become applicable if Congress granted the BRR that power.
As things stand, then, if the proposed settlement agreement is
approved as is, as long as Congress does not pass orphan works
legislation, then the MFN clause will not apply to any license
the BRR might grant to any competitor of Google in the ebook
market, because any such license will not include rights to
orphan works.  This suggests that the settlement in its present
form would enable price competition respecting digital versions
of copyrighted non-orphan works, as some of us had previously
argued, by means of the BRR's discretion to license rights in
such works to new market entrants.

Robert Richards

* The statements above are not legal advice or legal
representation.

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Law Librarian & Legal Information Consultant
Philadelphia, PA
E-mail: richards1000@comcast.net
* Member New York bar, retired status.