Re: Springer 2010 price list (and SCOAP3)

(Answering a mail from PAMNET, but also posting to liblicense-l
and lis-e-resources. Please excuse duplicate reception.)

Dear colleagues,

at Springer Business as usual.

In the Springer Alert on the 2010 Price List, August 2009
(http://is.gd/24SH0 ) no mentioning of the global economic crisis
and its impact on libraries.

Average price increase 6% (both in USD and EUR), Gabler-Verlag
USD -7% (EUR +5%), Birkhauser Basel, Urban & Vogel, Springer
Japan 3-4%, Humana Press 5%, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Wien,
London, Paris, Springer Netherlands 5,5%, Springer US, New York,
Milan, India, Chinese Society Journals, Higher Education Press
6%, Allerton Press, MAIK Nauka / Interperiodica 7%, Birkhauser
Boston 8%, Versita 9%, Science in China Press, Science Press 10%,
Vieweg+Teubner USD +11% (EUR +5%), Korean Societies 14%, VS
Verlag fur Sozialwissenschaften USD +17% (EUR +30%), Spektrum
Akademischer Verlag 32%.

Price increases for titles that are announced with "more content"
range from 5% to 25% (11% on average, about 240 titles).

That Springer published its newest price list only as pdf, is
less than helpful for agencies and libraries. We have converted
it back to an XML table which you can load into Excel, cf.

http://www.ub.uni-stuttgart.de/ejournals/Springer/

(You can do this by loading it in Acrobat - not Acrobat Reader -,
then save as "Table in xml format"). We corrected a typo in the
Print/e-only price of the Journal of Population Economics (USD
1145 instead of USD 145), check the EUR price list for
comparison. Springer should recheck these prices as the relation
between combined price and p/e price is somewhat different
(1,126) then usual (1,2) in this particular case.

The old 2009 price lists (in Excel!) are still available at "For
Librarians" - "Journal Prices", e.g. (login for your country)

http://www.springer.com/librarians/price+lists?SGWID=0-40585-12-507900-0
(EUR)

http://www.springer.com/librarians/price+lists?SGWID=0-40585-12-507899-0
(USD)

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library

<http://www.springer.com/librarians/forget-me-not?SGWID=0-152902-12-615199-0>