On Google Books Intermediaries & Pricing

Colleagues:

In light of the interesting discussion of Google Books & privacy
currently underway here, I'd be grateful for your thoughts on the
following ideas (which are mine) about the proposed Google Books
Settlement:

Respecting intermediaries and pricing for the for-fee, full-text
version of Google Books that may emerge from the proposed Google
Books Settlement: If the current version of the settlement
agreement is approved by the court and becomes effective, then
components of Google Books (GBS) will be unique goods in the
market for a certain period of time, and that gives the rights
owners/Book Rights Registry (BRR) a strong incentive to price
above marginal cost respecting those components, during that
time. Accordingly, I bet that many public libraries and some
academic libraries will be unable to afford the paid full-text
GBS subscription.

But I would think that the rights owners/BRR would also wish to
negotiate deals with the Internet service providers, and cable,
satellite, and mobile phone/device providers, so that access to
the full text of GBS could be purchased as part of
ISP/cable/sat/mobile offerings. Paid access through
ISP/cable/sat/mobile providers should enable remote/mobile access
to full text of GBS for public library or academic library users
who are willing and able to pay for such access, and whose
libraries don't subscribe to paid GBS. Libraries will continue to
furnish access to print versions for those individuals whose
library can't afford paid GBS, and who can't afford paid GBS via
their ISP/cable/sat/mobile provider, or who prefer print for
other reasons (higher resolution, access to pictures, etc.).

These developments don't seem unexpected: they seem consistent
with the general trend toward disintermediation of the library,
and of all information intermediaries, during the transition to a
primarily digital information environment (as Joseph Esposito
continually reminds us).

But I also understand that negotiations are currently underway
among the parties to the proposed settlement agreement respecting
possibly amending the agreement to give libraries some say in the
pricing of the paid, full-text GBS subscription.  In addition,
U.S. federal antitrust authorities (or a federal court) may
require price regulation of paid GBS, or some components of it.
If either process results in lower prices for the paid full-text
GBS subscription, then more libraries will likely be able to
afford that subscription, and will therefore probably remain, for
some time to come, key intermediaries respecting many very
important categories of ebooks.  Therefore I would think that the
issue of GBS pricing, especially in the context of the parties'
ongoing negotiations about a role for libraries, and the federal
antitrust inquiries into the proposed settlement, particularly
warrants the library community's attention.

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Law Librarian & Legal Information Consultant
Philadelphia, PA
E-mail: richards1000@comcast.net
* Member New York bar, retired status.