RE: The App Store Effect

[MOD NOTE: Thank you, John, for catching this error. The original
posting arrived with formatting characters that messed with the
numbers; though we thought we'd cleaned them up, obviously we
didn't know to remove the pesky and ultra-important 3s.]

Please note that this posting is misleading as an extraneous "3"
appears in both the numbers quoted.  UK universities and colleges
spent GBP 79.8 million on electronic serials in 2006-07.  The
average direct cost per download was GBP 0.81.  It is important
to get the numbers right.

It is absolutely right that the cost per item may fall further if
all these e-journals were to be licensed collectively on a
UK-wide basis.  And the most significant benefit would be to
those universities are not research-intensive and do not have
large journal collections, rather than "public access".
Moreover, I see no reason why corporate, government and other
special library users should have a free ride on what the
university and college sector would be financing.  That would
throw an additional burden on a higher education (HE) sector that
is facing hard times.

It should also be noted that the e-journals that UK HE are
published by thousands of publishers, most of which are small,
with only one or two titles.  It is simply not a practicable
proposition to invest in the manpower needed to negotiate
national licences with publishers that publish only one or two
titles.  Negotiating licences with the major publishers is one
thing.  But the long tail of small publishers is another.

John Cox
Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd
Rookwood