From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Esposito
Sent: 14 June 2009 23:02
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: The App Store Effect

The "app store effect" is much more complex than Pogue suggests.
Very surprising, as Pogue is usually a very well-informed
commentator.

The problem with applying a model of low prices to specialized
media such as research publications is that the content itself,
not only the price and the format, determines the size of the
market. How much larger would the readership of "The Journal of
Retinal Surgery" be if it were half the price or free?  The
elasticity of the market is not very great.  There would be some
increase in readership, but in many cases (probably most and
possibly all) the increase in readership would not offset the
decline in margin.

There are exceptions to this.  In consumer media there is no
question that lower prices bring in more users or customers. Even
in research publications, there are untapped audiences for
certain categories.  For example, I personally might want to read
an occasional article in "The Journal of the American Historical
Society," to which I do not subscribe, nor have I any training as
a historian.  But there is nothing that could induce me to read a
journal of statistical economics at any price.

I want to be very clear that in taking exception to the extension
of Pogue's comments, I am not suggesting that the world of
research publications is rosy or that all publishers have equal
skill in establishing pricing models.

Joe Esposito