Not quite useless

Useless would be extreme, but in disciplines where there is an
overwhelming majority opinion and entrenched establishment, it
can approach uselessness, or worse, danger.  Remember, Galileo
had peer review from Cardinal Bellarmine. (Of course, Elesevier
published him, anyway). In my own field, the diet-heart-low-fat
idea is so pervasive, and the lipophobes, as they are now called,
control editorial boards and most reviewers so that that taking
an opposing view has a substantially reduced chance of getting a
fair review or being published or, if published, of being cited.
Conversely, anything marginally supporting low-fat diets or the
associated "only calories count" idea can easily get published.
In the end, there usually is a place to publish things and no one
really has the time to fight, but the corruption of peer review
in this area makes the bulk of nutritional literature close to
useless.

Similarly, standards of methodology are so firmly entrenched that
if you question them, you will have a hard time getting them
published.  The exception is the skewering of random control
trials by Smith & Pell ( BMJ 2003;327;1459-1461 ) described
correctly as both funny and profound (although it had little
impact).

My own attempt to point out the limitations, if not absurdity, of
Intention-to-treat was met with actual hostility from two public
health journals.  I finally gave up and decided to publish in
Nutrition & Metabolism of which I was co-editor at the time, my
co-editor sending it out for review.  Due to a computer screw-up
(normally locks me out of info on my own submission), the
reviewer (who I had actually suggested) was identified to me and
I told him that his review would not be anonymous.  He said that
was Ok and proceeded to give me an incredible hard time, with one
(obviously to me) meaningless objection after another.  Until
another editor stepped in, it looked like I could not get the
paper published in my own journal.  If you don't know about ITT,
I recommend it for a view of the state of medical research (and I
quote one of the other reviews in the paper):
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-6-1.pdf

An appropriate principle to fix things would be that papers on
controversial subjects must have reviewers from both sides of the
controversy, more or less requiring giving up on anonymity.

Richard D. Feinman
Professor of Biochemistry
Clinical Professor of Family Practice
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
(718) 871-1374
FAX: (718) 270-3316

"B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
06/14/09 04:50 PM
Re: Hoax Article Accepted by OA Bentham Journal

Thomas Krichel writes: "...we all know that peer review is a
vague concept to the point of being useless."

Really? I don't mean to sound naive or skeptical. Can Thomas
Krichel point us to some empirical studies that show peer review
is useless?

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates