Re: The Argument Against (Premature) Gold OA Support

If I understand correctly, Prof. Shieber is making an empirical
argument: that in his experience, he has found that institutions
have declined to vote to implement Green OA unless institutional
support for Gold OA was also implemented, and that based on that
evidence, he predicts that, going forward, institutions will not
vote to implement Green OA unless institutional support for Gold
OA is also implemented.

That is, he seems to be making the empirical claim that a
commitment to institutional support for Gold OA has been, and
will continue to be, a necessary condition of persuading
institutions to implement Green OA.  If that is an accurate
characterization of Prof. Shieber's argument (and I'm not certain
that it is), then I would think that the prospective component of
this empirical claim could be tested empirically, say, by
surveying the institutions that have not implemented Green OA
respecting what they consider to be the necessary conditions for
persuading them to implement Green OA.

Such surveys may have already been performed.  I think that such
empirical evidence would substantially enhance this debate.

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Law Librarian & Legal Information Consultant
Philadelphia, PA
richards1000@comcast.net
* Member New York bar, retired status.