RE: Supplying electronic articles via ILL

The California Digital Library's standard license agreement also
includes electronic ILL by default - our provision is similar to
NELLCO's.

We have been successful in many instances - the number of
publishers who are prepared to 'go green' is happily increasing.
However there is still more work to do on this front.  This
remains a key issue for our interlibrary loan departments.

Prohibitions against electronic ILL do not discourage
interlibrary lending (the primary reason that publishers give for
this anachronistic restriction) because the burden affects the
lender, not the borrower. It's the CONTU provisions that serve as
a brake against ILL as a replacement for subscription.  Worries
about articles flying around the globe are also unfounded because
there are already ample avenues for this to happen compared with
which ILL is hardly noticeable.  Rather, publishers should
consider that such policies affect our subscription decisions
when difficult choices need to be made and that the more costly
it is for libraries to fulfill their interlibrary-lending
responsibilities, the less money we will have for subscriptions
in these challenging times.

We encourage all publishers who are listening to join us in going
green!

Ivy Anderson
Director of Collections
California Digital Library
University of California, Office of the President