Re: Merck published fake journal

Joe of course my point was hardly serious, and its no surprise
that you can find examples of owners as crooks - the 'self-made
man' is one of fiction's stock scoundrels. How Robert Maxwell
ever escaped from a book into the real world is to this very day
a mystery. However ownership does tend to conservatism whereas
management tends to - what - rashness; growth; progress? The
choice of word would reflect a point of view. The fact is,
despite all the blathering about risk-taking entrepreneurs one
hears, mostly entrepreneurs are decidedly risk-averse and not
disposed to bet the ranch, because they're well aware of the
consequences for them of that bet going wrong; and, because
perhaps of a non-professional background, they're very well aware
that just because the business plan says having done abc,
outcomes will be xyz, the kind of logic beloved of the bank
manager and the business school, it ain't necessarily so. Owners
know all about the randomness of everything! Managers however
have - usually - a lot less to lose, only their jobs and, in all
but the most extreme cases, can, in the event of disaster, claim
"wasn't me" and get another pretty good job elsewhere; and the
gains in terms of successful risk-taking are, for them,
fantastic. Many an executive who's risk-taken and won a few times
probably personally pulls down an annual salary more than my
whole business turns over in a year. Risk taking thus presents an
owner with the possibility of absolute loss, but some gain, a
manager with limited loss but the possibility of colossal gain;
so its not surprising that the risk taking lies with the
managerial class. My own view is that conservatism in all things
tends to the public good. Is that hats off to privately owned,
cautious, unimaginative, stultifying enterprises, going nowhere,
achieveing nothing, having no impact beyond their owners
sitting-rooms? 30 years or so ago swathes of Germanys SMEs were
derided in those terms. Fashions have changed. Now these dullards
are the backbone of the nation, to be contrasted against the
'professionals' who have gambled and gambled and gambled and ...
er.... lost! (other peoples ranches) But one of the plusses of
dull little businesses owned and run by bumpkins like me is that
they tend not to cheat libraries - probably because we're too
stupid and unprofessional to have realised such a thing was
possible; in small and unlikely ways is the public good built up.
Bill