Re: Supplying electronic articles via ILL: The "print-first" requirement

Hi Elizabeth,

NELLCO's standard license agreement expressly permits electronic
ILL and does not have any print-first requirement. Here's the
relevant section:

"Interlibrary Loan. Licensee may fulfill occasional requests from
other institutions (by mail, fax or electronic transmissions), a
practice commonly called Interlibrary Loan. Licensee agrees to
fulfill such requests in compliance with Section 108 of the
United States Copyright Law (17 USC 108, Limitations on exclusive
rights: Reproduction by libraries and archives) and the
Guidelines for the Proviso of Subsection 108(2g)(2) prepared by
the National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted
Works."

What is the vendor/publisher justification behind a print-first
requirement? I would think this would be the perfect time to make
an argument for a change given the savings that could be realized
by the fulfilling library as well as the fact that it's not a
very earth-friendly practice.

Libraries are pushing for vendor/publishers to implement green
practices and the print-first requirement really flies in the
face of that goal.

Could you summarize your responses for the list? I know I'd like
to see what's happening on this front with e-ILL.

Cheers,

Tracy L. Thompson-Przylucki, Executive Director
New England Law Library Consortium (NELLCO)
Keene, New Hampshire 03431
www.nellco.org
tracy.thompson@yale.edu