RE: Digital publishing and university presses

Joe, always good to read your postings as ever, here's an
additional point to put forward and consider.

I was at an advisory board meeting last week with publishers,
librarians and researchers, one of the questions asked to the
researcher was how many times a day/week would he print out
locally an article from an e-collection to read, add comments on
(it seemed to be agreed that for in-depth reading and research,
it was better not to read the whole article on screen).

The answer was quite surprising, (to me anyway), the researcher
said he would print out 5-15 articles a day, if you multiple this
over a week, month, year and add in another 10-20 researchers,
one could easily see how a million pages a year are printed out
locally in the institution. This institution covered all the
printing local costs, I know other libraries will make the
students contribute to printing costs. This question all came
about because the researcher had said he had to cancel a $70
subscription to a print journal he read. I'm not quite sure of
the exact costs to print this number of pages locally at an
institution, a quick look online at the HP printer costs for 5000
pages ranges from around $600 to $1400 depending on the model of
printer, that would be at least $200,000 a year for the above
researchers, and that is not counting the switch to online
collections and how this may affect their reading and printing
habits. I'm not saying this researcher is going to be a role
model for all researchers, but it did make me think what the
implications might be if this were the case, and more local
printing will occur in libraries, the environmentalists may also
raise an eyebrow or two as well.

With the possible move to more online only collections, and
reduction in libraries buying printed copies as some suggest may
be a way to make decisions on budget cuts, my question or comment
is; is the local printing cost at a library or institution going
to increase, and is this cost some what hidden and pushed outside
of collection and purchasing decisions ? I was wondering if any
study or research has been done on this area. Alternatively an
additional point is how many of the on-screen reading platforms
and devices will allow comments and highlights to be added and
saved locally by the researcher, so they don't have to print out
paper copies. Is this an area being actively looked into and
developed ?

Looking forward to hearing replies, best wishes.

Adrian Stanley
Chief Executive Officer
The Charlesworth Group (USA)
Web:  <http://www.charlesworth.com> www.charlesworth.com