RE: Digital publishing and university presses

What makes you think the "leap" will result in lower costs? All
the experience we have so far is that we are just exchanging one
type of costs (printing, binding, warehousing, etc.) for another
type (server maintenance, IT investment, licensing transactions,
etc.). Basically, monographs are unlikely to sell more no matter
what format is used; their audience is necessarily limited by the
very nature of these works as highly specialized. I predict that
presses will continue to need subsidies indefinitely into the
future.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press