RE: Dramatic Growth of Open Access - March 31, 2009

As a publisher I try to start new journals, but some thought and
care needs to be put into starting new journals.  Is there a
need/demand for new journals?  Will the editors be able to
maintain high standards in the review process?  Is there
sufficient high quality content to sustain these new journals?
I have nothing against open access journals per se, but I get the
feeling that anyone who wants to start a journal can simply put
up their shingle so to speak and launch a new journal.  This
starts to morph into something I call "information pollution"?
Do we need all of these journals?  And TWO journals a day -- am I
reading that correctly?  Do these journals actually survive?

Again, I realize that traditional publishers -- both commercial
and not-for-profit -- also contribute to this proliferation of
unnecessary journals, but I think we need to be careful about
cheering on all of these new open access journals without a clear
understanding of their contribution to the scholarly process.
It is easier to find authors willing to pay $500-$1000 to get
published than capturing institutions willing to pay half that
amount for a subscription.  This can create the wrong incentives
to start OA journals in the commercial arena.  And just because
someone wants to start a journal and free OA software is
available to launch them, does that mean we should start a
plethora of new journals?

This is simply one publisher's opinion and does not necessarily
represent the opinions of my colleagues.

Thanks.

Zac Rolnik
Publisher
now -- the essence of knowledge