Re: "Accepted Manuscript"

You are surely not the only one who worries about such matters,
Sandy, although you no doubt articulate your concerns better than
most.  Let's look at this from another angle, though.  What
exactly is the potential harm here?  Do we think that a scientist
is going to read the "wrong" version of a paper and, as a result,
make catastrophic errors in her own work?  Do we think that a
student will cite something other than the version of record in
his honors thesis and get dinged by his advisor?  Do we think
that a cancer patient will read a draft rather than the finished
version of an article and, as a consequence, will be misinformed
about treatment options?  These all seem like rather unlikely
scenarios from my perspective, though I am more than willing to
be shown there are other, more realistically harmful
possibilities I have failed to consider.

I think that as a discipline, scholarly communication is very
concerned with the notion of authority (not the Stalin kind, but
rather the definitive source of information kind).  Perhaps our
real fear here is that eventually the notion of version authority
will erode completely.  Stevan Harnad would applaud this; Joe
Esposito might shed a tear.  This mirrors the other lively thread
bouncing around Liblicense this week.  Lots of versions of the
same basic paper likely means better access.  It also likely
means some consumer-side confusion.

The question, at least in my mind, is whether this confusion
amounts to anything more dangerous than a case of the queasies
for the scholarly communication space.  Is there the chance of
real harm - tangible, demonstrable - here?  And, if so, can
someone articulate it for the list?

Best, Greg

Greg Tananbaum
Consulting Services at the Intersection of Technology, Content, & Academia
(510) 295-7504
greg@scholarnext.com
http://www.scholarnext.com