TechCrunch article

There is an insightful blog post at TechCrunch on online
"authority" that may interest some members of this list.  Here is
the link:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/10/are-blogs-losing-their-authority-to-the-statusphere/

The thesis is that "authority" for blogs (yes, in the Web 2.0
world, blogs have authority, and Technorati is the ISI of the
blogosphere) is changing, as new technologies (e.g., Twitter)
begin to redefine online communications. Blog authority works
pretty much like citations analysis for journals, by counting
inbound links (Google works this way, too).

Yes, I know, I know, the vaporings on blogs, not to mention such
services as Twitter, hardly resemble the careful work of a
research article.  But they will.  Or rather it will be the other
way around, as the academic community continues to adapt consumer
technologies to its own purposes.  Recall that before there was a
Google Scholar there was a Google.

This is where we should be putting our attention, not in
retrospection (mass digitization, open access, etc.) but
innovation.

Joe Esposito