Re: Pirates vs. University Presses

Does the end justify the means? With attitudes like this, it's no
wonder that university presses are suffering from piracy, too.
And unlike the Harry Potter books, which will still sell millions
of copies even with piracy rampant, scholarly books often have
very small markets, which can easily be completely destroyed by
such piracy.  Does Mr. Graf want to see a world where no presses
exist and all the publishing becomes self-publishing by scholars
and peer review is done after publication?  That is a sure way to
exacerbate the problem of information overload from which we are
all suffering too much already!

P.S. We presses would, of course, welcome a world in which our
parent universities completely subsidized our operations, so that
we could publish everything free to the end user. But does
anybody know of a university that is willing to do this?