From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of T Scott Plutchak
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 2:33 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: NIH issues

As I read your hypothetical, the reporting requirements you define don't
meet the definition of "extrinsic work" so HR 801 wouldn't apply. Perhaps
the most intriguing part of the bill is that second definition of "extrinsic
work" -- how do you measure "meaningful added value" and are there
circumstances under which it rises to the level that justifies a copyright
claim?  Kevin argues that it doesn't, because it doesn't materially affect
expression, and he may be right.  But it seems to me that there is still a
value transfer that needs to be recognized or justified in some fashion.

Here's the link if you want to take a look:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c111:./temp/~c1114iW6Lh

As for Bolano (and Ann can edit this out if I'm going too far afield), I
read 2666 during several weeks in January and found it one of the greatest
novels I've ever read, and I don't say that lightly.  I'm halfway through
Savage Detectives now, and while it is not as vast and ambitious in scope,
the quality of the writing, imagination and characterizations is just as
fantastic.

T. Scott Plutchak

Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences University of Alabama
at Birmingham tscott@uab.edu http://tscott.typepad.com
http://beardedpigs.net