RE: Darnton on the Google settlement

We are back with the question of "orphan works," David. In a way,
the Google settlement is a sweeping, catch-all answer to that
problem, and publishers, who want to settle that problem as much
as librarians and scholars do, conceded to Google this entire
vast domain of works to Google's default position: include them
in the database unless rightsholders come forward to identify
themselves. Some fraction of the out-of-print books, publishers
will discover, will fall into this category, and one virtue of
the settlement, as you note, is that these books will be
available in the system until an owner steps forward to claim
them.

Sandy Thatcher