RE: OCLC's New License for Bibliographic Records

Thanks to Kevin Smith and Mark Legott for their valuable
comments.  Rebecca Kemp has helped me to develop the following
further thoughts.  As I understand it (and please correct me if
I'm mistaken), Kevin is arguing that the proposed policy is going
to be incorporated into one or more separate contracts for
accessing OCLC WorldCat (either click-through contracts appearing
each time an OCLC member accesses the OCLC cataloging service,
ILL service, or FirstSearch, or bilateral written annual
contracts for those services), and that the policy therefore
needs to be interpreted in the context of those separate
contracts.  (I note that we don't have access to those separate
contracts, so we can't presently interpret the proposed policy in
proper context.)

I believe Kevin is further contending that OCLC intends to
require OCLC members to accept use and transfer restrictions
respecting any and all WorldCat bib records (individual records
or batches of records, whether or not OCLC has copyright in
individual records, excepting each member's original cataloging),
as a condition of access to the WorldCat database, and if an OCLC
member agrees to those restrictions and then uses any individual
WorldCat bib record or batch of records in a manner inconsistent
with the policy, then OCLC will bring a breach of contract action
against the member, but won't sue for copyright infringement.

I hope Kevin is right, but for the following reasons, I'm not
persuaded that OCLC will refrain from suing for copyright
infringement, and so I agree with those who argue that OCLC
members should address the copyright issue respecting WorldCat
bib records.

A search of the LC copyright registration database appears to
show that OCLC has registered a compilation copyright in the
WorldCat database, many times over.  See
http://cocatalog.loc.gov/ and search by title: OCLC online
bibliographic database.

In addition, a review of the OCLC proposed policy reveals three
matters that seem relevant: first, much of the wording resembles
that found in a typical nonexclusive copyright license; second,
the grant language seems to refer to the reproduction, derivative
works, display, and distribution rights that attach under Section
106 of the Copyright Act; and third, the breach language, if it
were in a contract, seems consistent with the breach provisions
of a copyright license, because it permits the licensor to
immediately cancel for any breach whatsoever of the usage
restriction terms, no matter how minor, and the licensor reserves
the exclusive right to determine whether a breach has occurred.
(If the contract in which these terms will eventually be
incorporated is a pure access contract for a database in which
the vendor asserts no copyright rights, then I can see how even a
minor breach of the access terms would be deemed material, but I
find it difficult to see how a minor breach of a restriction on
using database records post-access could reasonably be deemed
material.)

Finally, I think OCLC's chances of obtaining injunctive relief
would be weakened, perhaps substantially, if it refrains from
suing for copyright infringement.  Note that injunctions are
nearly automatically awarded when copyright infringement is
determined.  Consider a member's post-access usage restriction
breach.  Injunctive relief is the only remedy OCLC wants: an
order for the member and its transferees to halt the downstream
conduct.  Only an injunction can preserve the value of WorldCat.
Damages would avail OCLC nothing.

But there are no property rights at issue in our hypothetical: no
access term has been violated, we posit that OCLC will not assert
property rights to the intellectual content, and OCLC has no
property rights in downstream physical copies of WorldCat bib
records, because, by the nature of computing, those copies are
physically distinct from the records originally downloaded from
WorldCat.  That suggests that traditional contract remedies are
available: damages, and equitable relief only if damages prove
inadequate.  OCLC would then have two options: persuade the court
to enforce section E(1) of the proposed policy on the ground that
the licensee expressly agreed to equitable relief as the first
remedy; or show that damages are inadequate.

I think that either option presents substantial obstacles for the
licensor, with attendant costs and delay even if the licensor
prevails.  Compare these options by themselves, to the
near-certainty of an injunction's being awarded on a ruling of
copyright infringement.  Therefore I think that OCLC's refraining
from suing for copyright infringement under those circumstances
seems quite risky.  These factors taken all together suggest to
me that OCLC believes that it has at least a compilation
copyright in the WorldCat database as a whole, and that it
intends to use the proposed policy as a license to enforce that
copyright with respect to OCLC members.  Still, I hope I'm
mistaken.

Irrespective of OCLC's eventual theory of recovery, I think
Mark's comments eloquently highlight OCLC members' options when
confronted with the proposed policy as incorporated into an
offered license.  Would a rational OCLC member voluntarily
relinquish the right to use and transfer individual WorldCat bib
records respecting which OCLC has no copyright rights,
particularly, as Mark notes, in the current environment of
energetic development of new digital libraries in which
downstream use of bibliographic metadata is essential?  (Look at
the role of bibliographic metadata in HathiTrust, for example, in
addition to the resources Mark mentions.)

As noted above, OCLC members are likely to confront the proposed
policy in either of two contracting contexts: in new
click-through contracts for OCLC cataloging, ILL, and FirstSearch
services (a method I believe OCLC has never used before
respecting OCLC members with annual contracts), or in new
bilateral written annual contracts for those services.

Respecting click-through contracts, one can imagine OCLC members'
opposing this contracting method on several grounds, including
inefficiency, library employees' lack of authority to bind the
OCLC member, inconsistency with OCLC's past practice and with
generally recognized library contracting practice, and as
precluding members' counsel from properly reviewing the terms.
Respecting annual contracts, one can imagine that each OCLC
member might seek to bargain for an amendment providing for a
more favorable definition of actionable breach, an ample cure
period and express cure procedure preceding the attachment of the
licensor's cancellation right, and language preserving the
member's right to unrestricted use and transfer of individual bib
records in which OCLC has no copyright (public domain records and
records respecting which the copyright-owning libraries have not
transferred their rights to OCLC).

Perhaps one might posit as a key goal of such negotiations the
library's securing the right to unrestricted downstream use of
reasonable quantities of bib records respecting which OCLC has no
copyright rights, that is, quantities sufficient for the library
to pursue its digital initiatives, but not so great as to
reasonably pose a competitive threat to OCLC's WorldCat
businesses.

***

Further reflection on the likely consequences of the rather
prodigious remedy provided for in section E(1) of the proposed
policy--note that that's the remedy for even a de minimis
breach--leads one to imagine OCLC members' seeking an amendment
to that section providing for a remedy somewhat less severe than
compelling the shut-down of the library's online catalog, ILL
service for monographs, and staff and patron access to WorldCat
through FirstSearch.

*The comments expressed above are not offered as legal advice,
and do not in fact constitute legal advice.*

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Philadelphia, PA
richards1000@comcast.net
* Member New York bar, retired status.