Re: STM Publisher Briefing on Institution Repository Deposit Mandates

Regarding Joe Esposito's question about whether digital archives
can siphon usage from the publisher, we reported on such a find
with 4 math journals in which some articles were deposited in the
arXiv.

see:

Does the arXiv lead to higher citations and reduced publisher
downloads for mathematics articles? Philip M. Davis, Michael J.
Fromerth; Scientometrics Vol. 71, No. 2. p.203-215 (May, 2007)

and to illustrate "the Google effect", here is a link to a free
copy of the final manuscript:
http://arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0603/0603056.pdf

--Phil Davis

Joseph J. Esposito asked: