Re: STM Publisher Briefing on Institution Repository Deposit Mandates

Professor Harnad's comments prompt this question (see his point
#1 after you follow the link).

I have heard anecdotally that usage of electronic resources has
in some instances begun to tail off even for long-established
online publications. Has anyone seen any evidence of this?

Someone speculated to me that the availability of articles in IRs
is resulting in readers going to the IR version instead of the
subscription version, even when the reader has access to the
subscribed version (the cost of which is invisible to the
end-user). This was characterized to me as "a Google effect,"
that is, someone does a search on Google and clicks on the IR
link rather than going to the library's subscription.

I would appreciate learning if there is any evidence of this.

Joe Esposito