Re: Authors, publishers, settle suit with Google

It's not such a bad deal for publishers when you consider that
(1) they get to choose whether to put their in-print books into
this program, or the Google Partner program, or opt out
altogether and (2) there is some possibility of obtaining a
revenue stream from out-of-print books for which they still own
the rights without any expenditure of publisher funds at all. The
Settlement clearly affirms the principle of "opt in" for all
copyrighted works still in print, which is what publishers
brought the suit to establish, and it empowers publishers to
decide which of the various programs they would like to
participate in, including ones that can generate an additional
stream of income from advertising revenues. There is no question
that Google stands to gain in huge ways monetarily from this
agreement, but I don't think it is such a bad deal for publishers
as Joe takes it to be.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press