Google Book Search & Resellers of GovWorks

I would like to bring to your attention a situation that has
received public notice and comment before -- false claims of
copyright in works of the U.S. Government (Title 17 USC 105).
There are many resellers of government works.  While that is
legal, I think it's misrepresentation bordering on fraud when
they claim to be the "publisher."

I recently discovered that one such entrepeneur has assigned
ISBNs" and lists his company as Publisher of government documents
harvested from my organization's website, the Defense Technical
Information Center www.dtic.mil.  The company reselling documents
from the DTIC repository is Storming Media.  Storming Media isn't
the only one out there -- Diane Publishing and Penny Hill Press
are two more that come to mind..

Doing an advanced search in Google Books, I found:

Books 1 - 10 of 812 on inpublisher:storming
inpublisher:media

Books 1 - 10 of 325 on inpublisher:Penny
inpublisher:Hill inpublisher:Press

Books 1 - 10 of 10,442 on inpublisher:Diane
inpublisher:Publishing

Google Scholar Results 1 - 10 of about 105,000. when searching
"Storming Media" in the Publication field. --- many of these are
not government works, but subject to copyright held by
contractors or grantees.

DTIC is a repository and secondary disseminator.  We have no
legal recourse since we are not the owner or publisher of the
materials we distribute which are either U.S. Government Works
not eligible for copyright protection or works copyrighted by
others.

Bonnie Klein
Defense Technical Information Center