Wiley-Blackwell 2009 Subscription and Licensing Options

Following a recent posting to this listserv and feedback from our
customers, we would like to take the opportunity to clarify some
issues relating to the new subscription and licensing options
available for Wiley-Blackwell journals in 2009.  You will find a
full and transparent explanation of the new options and how the
changes affect Wiley and Blackwell customers on our website here:
http://www.interscience.wiley.com/transition.  If you have any
comments or questions, please don't hesitate to contact your
Wiley-Blackwell Account Manager or me directly.

In 2009, customers can choose to subscribe to Wiley-Blackwell
journals in one of two main ways:

1. Through title-by-title subscriptions, with no limitations on
cancellations or minimum requirements.

In 2009, most journals from Wiley-Blackwell are available in the
following three subscription options:

- Print Only - 100% of the list price
- Online Only - 100% of the list price
- Print and Online - 110% of the list price

All subscribers with online access to any journal are entitled to
the following benefits in 2009:

- Free access to COUNTER-compliant usage data

- Unlimited concurrent users

- Free course-pack use and walk-in user access

- Campus-wide access across a single site, defined as a single,
geographically contiguous office building, complex, or campus
location. It is not a mailing address and may include more than
one library and dial-in access via the licensee's secure network.
This is consistent with both Wiley and Blackwell's earlier
policies.  If you are unsure whether your institution qualifies,
please contact us directly.

- Access to content dating back to 1997 (where available) during
the subscription year 2009, excluding issues in Backfile
Collections

- Perpetual access to content back to 1997 (where available)

Please note that for customers who previously held a Standard
subscription to a Blackwell journal, we will be sending you a
renewal notice for a Print Only subscription in 2009.  If you
would like to switch to an Online Only or Print and Online
subscription, please notify your agent or our Journal Customer
Services department promptly.

2.  Through the Wiley Online License.

Institutional customers may choose to commit to multi-year deals
and convert their current Wiley-Blackwell subscriptions (Core
Collection) to online only, if they haven't already, in exchange
for an agreed annual price increase cap. Academic customers are
entitled to multi-site access for subscriptions held under a
Wiley Online License.  Customers who choose this route to content
can take advantage of the following options in 2009:

- Adding access to a Standard Collection of Wiley-Blackwell
titles; Full, STM, SSH, or M&N

- Building a Custom Collection or Sharing Access to titles held
by other members within your consortium.  Collection access is
priced at a small fraction of the subscription price of the
unsubscribed titles

- Adding online books, major reference works, databases, Current
Protocols and journal backfiles as an addendum to your Wiley
Online License

- Adding Article Select Tokens to your account, to access journal
articles and book chapters in unsubscribed titles

- Adding print at the deeply discounted rate of 15% of the list
price (Previously Wiley=92s deep discount price was 10% and
Blackwell's was 20%)

All customers with expiring Wiley or Blackwell licenses will be
migrated from the existing models to the new Wiley Online
License, but until then we will continue to honor the terms of
the existing licenses.  For more information on licensing online
access to Wiley-Blackwell titles please contact your Account
Manager:
(http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/aboutus/contactus/contactus_wissales.ht=
ml).

- Wiley's Online Platform

All Wiley-Blackwell's 1400+ journals are now available on Wiley
InterScience.  For the Library/Customer Administration area, we
have matched most Synergy and Wiley InterScience accounts so you
will be able to manage all your Wiley and Blackwell journals
using your existing Wiley InterScience Administrator login here:
http://www.interscience.wiley.com/customer.  If you do not
already have a Wiley InterScience administrator ID, please
contact your Account Manager or go to
http://www.interscience.wiley.com/support
and log a request to be sent one.

Since we began consulting with users and customers on the
requirements for our new next-generation online platform for all
Wiley products, we have developed an ambitious plan which will
begin to roll out in mid 2009.  This new service will be based on
new underlying architecture, will include new features and
functionality for researchers, authors and librarians, and will
have a new interface based on extensive user research and
feedback.  It will deliver benefits for all those seeking,
serving and authoring research across the many subject
communities and society partnerships with whom we work.  The
first release of the new platform is currently scheduled for July
2009 with further enhancements delivered in subsequent releases
on an ongoing basis.  More information about the new service and
the launch plan will follow in due course.

- Usage Data Update

We are pleased to report that Wiley InterScience now provides
COUNTER-compliant usage data for journals and we now appear on
the Project COUNTER list of compliant vendors.  The usage data
for all Blackwell journals for the period since July 2008 is
available to download from Wiley InterScience now.  We still need
to do some work in mapping Blackwell usage data to the correct
customers on Wiley InterScience so usage data for the period
January to June 2008 will be added to Wiley InterScience later in
2008, followed by usage data reports for the period January 2006
to December 2007.

- Renewal Notices and Customer Account Numbers

Last month we successfully merged the Blackwell subscription
management system into the Wiley subscription management system.

For former Blackwell subscribers this will mean a change to your
customer and subscription reference numbers.  Some payment
information and 'remit to' instructions will also change.  All
these changes will be notified to customers with your 2009
renewal instructions.  Please pay close attention when you
receive these notices in the next few weeks and as you place your
orders for 2009.  If you have any questions or concerns about
your 2009 renewal instructions, please don't hesitate to contact
your Account Manager or Journal Customer Services or your usual
subscription agent.  Tax treatment and country rules will be
applied consistently across all Wiley products and services.
Please refer to our payment and ordering information on Wiley
InterScience for more information on Australian GST, Canadian GST
and European Union VAT.

- Multi-Currency Pricing

Wiley and Blackwell formerly priced in different currencies in
different regions.  Beginning in 2009, we will use a single
currency in each region, as follows:

Americas: US dollar (USD)
Europe: Euro (EUR)
UK: Pounds Sterling (GBP)
Rest of the World: US dollar (USD)

The exchange rates used to convert to these currencies are those
published for June 16, 2008.  The exchange rates will be updated
annually.

- New and Transfer Journals

Wiley-Blackwell continues its position as the world=92s leading
society publisher, publishing for more scholarly and professional
societies and membership associations than anybody else.  We are
pleased to report several major journal titles which are already
confirmed as transferring to our list and to Wiley InterScience
for 2009.  These include such titles as Stem Cells, Protein
Science, Economic Geography, The Laryngoscope, Biofactors, and
the journals of the World Council of Churches.

In 2009 we will be launching new journals for which you can
opt-in for complimentary access, including EMBO Molecular
Medicine, Reviews in Aquaculture, Review of Behavioral Finance,
Clinical Obesity, Orthopedic Surgery and Journal of
Evidence-Based Medicine.  In addition, we will be launching the
first of the WIRES (Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews) hybrid
publications which combine the most powerful features of online
reference works and review journals.  The first title to launch,
for which you can opt-in for access, is WIRES Nanomedicine and
Nanobiotechnology, followed by WIRES Computational Statistics and
WIRES Cognitive Science.

- Journal Customer Services

We continue to offer global customer service including telephone
and email support 24 x 5 and self-help online support 24 x 7.
Many answers to Frequently Asked Questions and the contact
information for our customer services departments and your
Wiley-Blackwell Account Manager are available on our site here:
http://www.interscience.wiley.com/support.

Many thanks for your continued support for Wiley-Blackwell
journals in 2009 and we do apologise for any inconvenience caused
by the bringing together of our systems, policies and practices.
We are doing our best to make this as quick and as smooth as we
can and look forward to working with you over the coming year.

Best wishes,

Emily Gillingham
Director, Library and Institutional Marketing
Wiley-Blackwell
John Wiley & Sons
emily.gillingham@wiley.com
---2071850956-1465880190-1222542330=:30864--