AAUP announces agreement with Tizra - press release

Press release
Contact: Anne Orens, anne.orens@tizra.com, 617-721-05662

AAUP Forms Ebook Partnership with Tizra

September 25, 2008 (New York, NY)

The Association of American University Presses (AAUP) is pleased
to announce a new cooperative venture with Tizra, Inc., an
e-publishing service provider. Through this agreement, AAUP
members will be eligible for discounted access to the Tizra
Publisher platform.

The Tizra Publisher platform is a highly flexible, web-based
application for distributing and selling electronic books and
similar content. Publishers signing up for the service will get
their own customized ebook websites, and retain complete control
over the presentation, organization and sales terms of their
content through an easy-to-use web control panel. MIT Press
recently launched an ebook site providing an example of the
capabilities at http://cisnet.mit.edu.

"It is part of AAUP's strategic mission to help our members move
more of their content online, where university press authors and
readers are increasingly looking to find them," says AAUP
Executive Director Peter Givler. "The Tizra Publisher platform
has been garnering interest from our membership, and we're very
excited to be offering this program to make the service
accessible to a wide range of presses," added Brenna McLaughlin,
AAUP Electronic and Strategic Initiatives Director.  "Tizra's
service is affordable for small presses, and scales to handle
large content collections and extensive customization, meeting
the range of needs of our AAUP membership."

The AAUP-Tizra discount program is particularly well-suited to
presses with staff who are taking on more responsibilities as
they balance print and electronic format publishing. "AAUP
presses are exactly the kinds of organizations we designed Tizra
Publisher to help," said Tizra CEO David Durand.  "They have
great content and great marketing ideas but often lack the
technical resources we provide to build a successful ebook
program."

The non-exclusive agreement between AAUP and Tizra provides
discounted subscription rates at all product tiers to AAUP
members, modest revenue back to the association, and the
opportunity for presses of any size to move into the electronic
sale and delivery of content collections with very little
technology expertise needed.

AAUP will begin arranging webinars with Tizra for interested
members in the first week of October. Tizra will be inviting
participating presses to sign up for the first, free tier of
their hosted platform's service, and will be ready to answer any
questions AAUP members have about the service or the new discount
program.

About AAUP

The Association of American University Presses is an organization
of more than 130 nonprofit scholarly publishers, dedicated to the
support of creative and effective scholarly communications.
Through its programs and information resources, AAUP helps its
members fulfill their common commitments to scholarship, the
academy, and society. Learn more at www.aaupnet.org.

About Tizra

Tizra's mission is to provide content owners large and small with
unprecedented control over the marketing, sales and delivery of
their online content.  Tizra's first product, Tizra Publisher, is
a hosted service that enables non-technical staff to create new
online products from existing content and sell them through
publisher branded web sites with highly flexible business terms.
The company is headquartered in Providence, Rhode Island, and
funded in part by Rhode Island's Slater Technology Fund.  More at
http://tizra.com.