[no subject]

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 6:10 PM, atanu garai
<atanugarai.lists@gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Stevan Harnad
>
> 2008/9/15 Stevan Harnad <amsciforum@gmail.com>
>
>> (6) Now the essence of this strategy: NIH should also
>> implement the "Email Eprint Request" Button, so that any
>> would-be user, webwide, who reaches a link to a Closed Access
>> article, can insert their email address in a box, indicate
>> that a single copy of the postprint is being requested for
>> research or health purposes, and click.
>> http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/274-guid.html
>>
>> (7) The eprint request is then automatically transmitted
>> immediately by the repository software to the author of the
>> article, who receives an email with a URL that can then be
>> clicked if the author wishes to have the repository software
>> automatically email one individual copy of that eprint to that
>> individual requester.
>>
>> (8) This is not Open Access (OA). But functionally, it is
>> almost-OA.
>
> Before recommending this, it is important that we also take
> into consideration article level usage data of PMC (apart from
> legal aspect itself). If an article is needed downloaded
> thousand times, it is not sure how the author is going to press
> the button thousand times. Regards

Dear Atanu:

Don't worry! That rare, lucky author will manage (and with a
smile on his face)...

And once Deposit Mandates are universal, this is the sort of
thing that will help ensure the natural transition to universal
OA.

And what legal aspect do you have in mind, when it comes to
authors responding to individual eprint requests for their own
articles?

Here are some URLs to try it with:

http://www.archipel.uqam.ca/920/
and