AGU site license - indemnity clause

Hello to all,

I am new to this list and found my way here after searching the
archives.  I've pasted the indemnity clause from the AGU license
below.

Has anyone successfully negotiated altering the language of this
clause to remove the indemnification? AGU suggested alternate
wording which basically removed the word "indemnify" without
changing the meaning of the clause.  So far the examples I've
found have both parties indemnifying each other, which will
unfortunately not work for us as we cannot agree to indemnify a
publisher.

SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW, THE LICENSEE AGREES TO INDEMNIFY,
DEFEND AND HOLD THE PUBLISHER HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY LOSS,
DAMAGE, COSTS, LIABILITY AND EXPENSES (INCLUDING REASONABLE LEGAL
AND PROFESSIONAL FEES) ARISING OUT OF ANY CLAIM OR LEGAL ACTION
TAKEN AGAINST THE PUBLISHER RELATED TO OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED
WITH ANY USE OF THE LICENSED MATERIALS BY THE LICENSEE OR
AUTHORIZED USERS NOT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS LICENSE OR ANY
FAILURE BY THE LICENSEE TO PERFORM ITS OBLIGATIONS IN RELATION TO
THIS LICENSE, PROVIDED THAT NOTHING IN THIS LICENSE SHALL MAKE
THE LICENSEE LIABLE FOR BREACH OF THE TERMS OF THE LICENSE BY ANY
AUTHORIZED USER PROVIDED THAT THE LICENSEE DID NOT CAUSE,
KNOWINGLY ASSIST OR CONDONE THE CONTINUATION OF SUCH BREACH TO
CONTINUE AFTER BECOMING AWARE OF AN ACTUAL BREACH HAVING
OCCURRED.

(http://www.agu.org/pubs/institution_forms/Corporate.pdf)

Thanks!

Leah Donley