RE: New US Bill re. Copyright/Federal Funding

Dear Ann and others on the list:

You ask:  but how does this bill "protect the rights of authors"
who don't seem here to be > complaining about a loss of rights?

Ann - it is standard publishing industry practice to pretend to
assert protection for authors because that appears to make the
fight more idealistic.

But as you suggest the publishing industry simply wants to put
the federal government in the position of paying for the
information at least twice - once in order to develop the
information and then again to be able to read about what the
findings were that they funded.  Now, to be fair, it is the job
of the publishing industry to be concerned about the needs or
best interests of the country (government).

Unfortunately, in my opinion, our government today simply acts as
order clerk(s) for lobbyists and instead of standing up for
distribution of scientific knowledge to the public - the
government will no doubt take its payoff and let the publishers
control the release of the writings.  There is an argument to be
made in support of the bill too.  I just object to the publishing
industry trying to act like David when they really are Goliath.

I worked as an advisor to the Office of the President of the
United States under President Clinton.  During that time, we were
trying to expand government funded research to the public and the
scientific communities.  So, perhaps I'm biased.

Linda K. Hopkins
Attorney at Law
Intelliware Int'l Law Firm
449 South Owasso Boulevard West