New US Bill re. Copyright/Federal Funding

The excerpt below comes from LJ Academic Newswire, September
12th.  I'm having some difficulty understanding the full
rationale behind this bill - apart from the intention to weaken
the NIH (or other) deposit requirement.  I'm NOT a fan of
mandates - though one of my former bosses used to proclaim: "s/he
who has the gold makes the rules."

And I understand publishers' concerns; but how does this bill
"protect the rights of *authors,*" who don't seem here to be
complaining about a loss of rights?

Is there someone out in liblicense-l land who can provide a
simple explanation?  Thank you, Ann Okerson

New Bill Would Forbid Copyright Transfer as a Condition for
Federal Funding

The public access battle lines have been redrawn: if passed, the
Fair Copyright in Research Works Act (HR 6845), now officially
introduced, would essentially bar agencies of the federal
government from requiring the transfer of copyright, whole or in
part, as a condition for receiving public funding. The pending
legislation was the subject of a congressional hearing today, as
first reported by LJ late last week. The text of the brief, but
sweeping copyright bill, first posted yesterday afternoon on the
Public Knowledge blog, proposes that: "No Federal agency may, in
connection with a funding agreement, impose or cause the
imposition of any term or condition that requires the transfer or
license to or for a Federal agency any right provided under
copyright law."

That means, if passed, measures like the recently enacted NIH
public access policy, which requires investigators who accept
taxpayer funds to deposit their final papers in the PubMed
Central repository and give the agency a non-exclusive right to
offer free access within a year, would be prohibited. It was
unclear, however, if the bill would directly affect the current
NIH policy, as the bill appears to apply to future policies. In
its first statement since LJ broke the news of the pending bill,
introduced after months of heavy lobbying from publishers,
officials at the Professional and Scholarly Publishing (PSP)
Division of the Association of American Publishers (AAP) praised
the measure as protecting "the rights of authors and publishers
of copyrighted, peer-reviewed scientific journal articles." The
NIH policy, the statement said, forced publishers to "surrender
their peer-reviewed scientific journal articles, without
compensation, for worldwide online distribution."

[SNIP]

*****