Re: Plan B for NIH Public Access Mandate: A Deposit Mandate

Dear Stevan Harnad

2008/9/15 Stevan Harnad <amsciforum@gmail.com>

> (6) Now the essence of this strategy: NIH should also implement
> the "Email Eprint Request" Button, so that any would-be user,
> webwide, who reaches a link to a Closed Access article, can
> insert their email address in a box, indicate that a single
> copy of the postprint is being requested for research or health
> purposes, and click.
> http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/274-guid.html
>
> (7) The eprint request is then automatically transmitted
> immediately by the repository software to the author of the
> article, who receives an email with a URL that can then be
> clicked if the author wishes to have the repository software
> automatically email one individual copy of that eprint to that
> individual requester.
>
> (8) This is not Open Access (OA). But functionally, it is
> almost-OA.

Before recommending this, it is important that we also take into
consideration article level usage data of PMC (apart from legal
aspect itself). If an article is needed downloaded thousand
times, it is not sure how the author is going to press the button
thousand times. Regards

Atanu Garai