RE: concepts of perpetuity

I don't think either Nawin or Karl has quite taken my point.  I
was simply trying to say that 'perpetual' (i.e. 'for ever') is
not a promise anyone can realistically make!

As far as medium-term access is concerned, I'd actually go
further than Nawin.  I believe quite strongly that when
publishers sell or transfer a journal, they have a continuing
obligation to those customers who paid, in good faith, for a
licence which included 'continuing access'.  They should ensure
that there is an arrangement in place for either the new
publisher or the old one to honour those obligations

The ALPSP guidelines on 'When a society journal changes
publisher' (http://www.alpsp.org/ForceDownload.asp?id=101 - for
some reason now only available, I believe, to ALPSP members) make
this clear.  The TRANSFER group is also working on (somewhat more
prescriptive) guidelines

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)
South House, The Street
Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK
Email:  sally@morris-assocs.demon.co.uk

____

I agree with Sally that no publisher can make a promise of
perpetual access to journals.  It is untenable in a business
where journals often change publishers/ownership.  And how does
one account for deferred liabilities associated with serving a
"perpetual" term?  On the other hand, providing for
post-cancellation access as long as the journal in question
continues to be owned (or published) by the publisher making the
offer, is something institutional subscribers should expect to
receive as part of a subscription.  Although, in my view, it is a
short-sighted practice, some publishers are asking for
maintenance fees to manage and service post-cancellation access.

Nawin Gupta
nawin.gupta@comcast.net
www.nawingupta.com