RE: Request for information on book purchasing

Dear Joe,

I have been following your opinions for some time and find them
very interesting especially on the book ordering issue.

First of all in answer to your request on monographic orders we
at the university library do not distinguish in the ordering of
monographs. We have two main book suppliers domestic and foreign.
In my view we have a contract with the bookseller and he has to
supply as offered. We don't think its sound business to be
preselecting the orders (you might be tempted to take the best
bits out), in some cases grey literature is the exception.

We at the university have a policy of supporting the local
bookseller so they can provide the best service for our
university students and staff.

What I'm more interested in and that's a fundamental question how
are we (librarians) going to order e-books from: Bookseller,
Wholesaler, or straight from the Publisher. I'm asking this with
the Big Deal (journals) in mind, with its advantages and
disadvantages.  And the fact that most publishers are presenting
impractical pricing models main issues in the discussions are:
packages, simultaneous users and site (access) definitions.

If you have any views or opinions on this I would appreciate these.

Regards,
Roel Tilly
University of Maastricht
Mail Address:
PO Box  616, 6200 MD Maastricht

Visiting Address:
Grote Looierstraat 17, 6211 JH Maastricht
T (043) 388 5091 | F (043) 3884888