Correcting Stevan Harnad's Misrepresentation

Sigh.  Stevan Harnad wrote:

> I kept resisting the posting of a message that amounts to
> "nyah, nyah" but this is too rich: 25 Green OA self-archiving
> mandates by funders worldwide, including NIH, 6/7 of RCUK and
> ERC, and 25 institutional mandates, including Harvard, Stanford
> and CERN, and Joe and Jan think the future of green is bleak?"

JE:  I have never said the future of OA is bleak.  I have said
precisely the opposite, that OA is inevitable.  And Harnad knows
this, but insists on misrepresenting my position.  I say he knows
this because he wrote a long and vitriolic response to an article
of mine several years ago; that article has been cited on this
list before ("The Devil You Don't Know," http://firstmonday.org).
In that piece I asserted that "Open Access is the future."
Consider how bizarre this is:  Harnad writes a long attack on an
article that mostly agrees with him.

What I have said is that OA in itself is unimportant and that it
inevitably will drive up costs.  The Harvard faculty can mandate
OA for itself (and, as far as I know, it is within the faculty's
right to do so), but it won't make people read more thoughtfully.
The NIH can mandate OA for materials based on research it
underwites (and why not?  They paid for it), but it won't improve
the quality of the material.  I think it is highly doubtful (but
neither proven nor provable) that the OA articles mandated by the
Wellcome Trust (for research it has funded, etc., etc.) will
yield more citations or higher impacts than had the material been
toll access.  OA doesn't make us smarter, it does not improve the
economy of the United Kingdom (one of Harnad's claims of a couple
years ago, if I understood the argument correctly), and it does
not "democratize" knowledge or research, except in Lake
Woebegone, where all the children are above average.

Thus, even as OA is becoming increasingly widespread, the
rationale for supporting it becomes weaker and weaker.  This is
the house of cards:  not OA itself, but the reasons to support
it.

What is really needed in the research community is not open
access but "open access follow-through."  But this follow-through
applies whether documents are OA or toll access.  And that is why
OA is not that important.  Harnad is solving the wrong problem.

Joe Esposito