RE: selling singles (update)

Ian Russell has already drawn attention to the soon-to-be
published survey of scholarly publishing that was undertaken by
Laura Cox of Frontline Global Marketing Services
(laura.cox@frontlinegms.com) and myself.  That 78% of publishers
offer individual articles for purchase should make it clear that
this is now commonplace.

So far as the rights to sell individual articles online is
concerned, there is absolutely no restriction on publishers
offering pay-per-view if they acquired copyright from the author
at the time of acceptance.  The problem may simply be that the
author agreements no longer exist.  Before the advent of online
publishing, many publishers published accepted articles even
though the author may not have returned a signed author
agreement.  Now that copyright and author rights have been put
under the spotlight, publisher's processes have tightened up
considerably.  Journal publishers now routinely seek copyright
assignment, or a license to publish, that gives them all the
print and online rights they need.

The position with magazines and newspapers is very different.
Any periodical that has relied on pieces commissioned from
professional freelance writers and journalists has traditionally
paid for "one-time use" only.  Consequently, if the piece were to
be republished online, the rights would have to be cleared and a
further payment made to the author.  Today, such periodical
publishers have changed their author agreements to include all
the right that they generally need.  But this does not change
older work, published before the early 1990s.

John Cox

Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd
Rookwood, Bradden