selling singles (update)

Thanks to the many who replied for confirming my sense that
selling of individual articles is commonplace.  I asked because I
heard privately of a publisher who found it hard to do that.
Perhaps the question I should ask is "what *would* make it hard
to sell individual articles?"  Are materials published 5-50 years
ago when authors' agreements did not include authors' rights a
problem?  Are there any steps a publisher should take to make
sure that a generous policy of making material available is
sustainable?

With thanks,
Ann Okerson