RE: Library subs for works licensed under Creative Commons

If only we knew what "noncommercial" means! As Karl Bridges's
comment on this thread suggests, the meaning is hardly obvious.
Just to give one example, is the use by a researcher who works
for Texaco "noncommercial"? Remember that the court in the
landmark Texaco photocopying case ruled that although the
immediate use was for research, the ultimate purpose for this use
was commercial.

And the judges in the Michigan Document Services case split 8-5
on whether the copying done by the MDS copyshop was fair use or
not, some judges believing that the ultimate use was for
educational purposes, hence noncommercial, while others felt that
the immediate use was commercial because it brought profits for
the copyshop. If judges can't figure this out, far be it for us
mere lay people to do so. The CC license relies crucially on this
distinction, but it is anything but evident that it has a clear
and straightforward meaning. Even Larry Lessig once said (toward
the end of "The Future of Ideas") that it is a distinction that
cannot be sustained in the Internet age.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press